Sweet Pickle Relish Recipe
It’s that time of year again when I have an abundance of certain fruit and vegetables. This time it’s cucumbers. I do love them but I can never get round to actually eating them all, even after giving a few away to friends and family. Some searching a few years ago of what to do with them and I came across a sweet pickle relish recipe. It looked so colourful and fresh it was a definite winner!
I’ve used it throughout the year at BBQ’s, with cheeses at Christmas and in wraps. It’s such a versatile relish you won’t regret making it. Our chickens even love this recipe as they get the seeds from the vegetables if I’m not saving them for growing next year!
This year I entered it into our village produce show and it won with the judge saying it had a beautiful taste and lovely even cut vegetables.
This is a simple dish to make and took about 30 mins (plus 2 hours getting the water out of the vegetables) and you’ve got not only some beautiful looking relish but great tasting too.
4 cups Cucumbers, deseeded and diced
1 cup Red pepper, diced
1 cup Green pepper, diced
2 cups Onions, diced
1/4 cup Salt
2 cups Cider vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
3 1/2 cups Sugar
1 tbsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Turmeric
1. Chop all the vegetables up into small cubes, removing all the seeds, and place in a bowl.
2. Add the salt to the veg and cover with cold water.
3. Leave for 2 hours.
4. Sieve the vegetables, getting as much water as you can out of the vegetables.
5. Place the cider vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds and turmeric into a large pot.
6. Heat it until the sugar has dissolved.
7. Add the vegetables and bring to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Using a slotted spoon, put the mixture into sterilised jars. (I add a little of the liquid to the relish also)
Now all that’s left to do is decide what you are going to serve this lovely Sweet Pickle Relish with.
I got this recipe originally from here.